Chelsea Handler Overview:
Quick Chelsea Handler Facts:
- Chelsea Handler was born and raised in Livingston, New Jersey.
- At age 19, she moved to Los Angeles and began performing stand-up at age 21.
- She began hosting the late night talk show Chelsea Lately on E! in 2007, which has consistently become one of the highest-rated shows on the network and one of the most popular late-night talk shows on television.
- She has performed stand-up on Premium Blend and on her own Comedy Central Presents in 2007.
- She has published four books, three of which have been New York Times bestsellers.
- In 2012, NBC began airing Are You There, Chelsea?, created by Handler and based loosely on her life. Handler plays a supporting role as her own sister.
Books by Chelsea Handler:
Chelsea Handler and Chelsea Lately:
In 2006, E! began airing The Chelsea Handler Show as part of its late-night lineup. The show was a combination of stand-up and sketch comedy (modeled after the success of Chappelle's Show on Comedy Central). It aired for 12 episodes before being canceled.
In 2007, Handler returned with Chelsea Lately, a late-night talk show on E! that became a quick success. It features a traditional monologue, celebrity interviews and a roundtable discussion of pop culture and tabloid news with a lineup of comedians including Jo Koy, Greg Proops, the Sklar Brothers, Whitney Cummings and many more. The show is one of the biggest hits on E! and draws better ratings than many other network talk shows in late night.
In 2011, the show got its own spin-off series, a fictional "behind the scenes" show called After Lately. In addition to starring the cast of Chelsea Lately, the show features celebrity guests and comedians like Fortune Feimster and Jen Kirkman.
Additional Chelsea Handler Facts:
- She's a columnist for Cosmopolitan and the UK magazine NOW.
- She starred on the web series In the Motherhood from 2007 to 2008, but did not join the cast of the short-lived network sitcom of the same name.
- In 2009, Handler served as Grand Marshal for the LGBT Pride festival in Hollywood.
- She became the second woman in history to host the Video Music Awards on MTV in 2010.
- In 2011, she was named Glamour magazine's "Woman of the Year."
- Handler was given the "A-List Funny" award by Bravo TV in 2009.