August 1, 1974
Matt Braunger Overview:
Chicago-born comedian and actor Matt Braunger is awkward and proud, using his stand-up to celebrate all the things he claims are awkward about himself (including his height). Using manic physical energy and a high volume, spastic delivery, Braunger combines absurdist observational comedy and personal stories onstage, never missing an opportunity to turn the joke in on himself for a self-deprecating punchline. Braunger's sketch comedy background adds to his dynamic performance, too, making him as fun to watch as he is funny.
Quick Matt Braunger Facts:
- Matt Braunger was born in Chicago and raised in Portland.
- He began performing stand-up and improv around Chicago in the early 2000s.
- Braunger joined the cast of the sketch comedy series MAD TV in 2008. He was only with the show for one season, as it was canceled a year later.
- He released his first stand-up album, Soak Up the Night in 2009.
- His first hour-long stand-up special, Shovel Fighter, premiered on Comedy Central in 2012.
Additional Matt Braunger Facts:
- Matt Braunger's half-hour Comedy Central Presents stand-up special premiered in 2010.
- He has a recurring role on the NBC sitcom Up All Night, starring Christina Applegate and Will Arnett.
- Braunger is a regular panel guest on Chelsea Handler's late-night talk show on E!, Chelsea Lately.
- In 2008, he won the "Best of the Fest" award at the first-ever Rooftop Comedy Festival, held in Aspen, Colorado.
- Variety named Braunger one of "10 Comics to Watch" in 2009. That same year, he was one of nine comics named to Comedy Central's Hot 9 in '09, among fellow comics Anthony Jeselnik, Nick Kroll, Donald Glover, T.J. Miller and Whitney Cummings, among others.
- He co-hosted the weekly internet radio show MattsRadio with Matt Dwyer until 2010.
- He starred in the 2010 comedy web series IKEA Heights.
- Braunger has performed on Live at Gotham, John Oliver's New York Stand-up Show, The Tonight Show, The Late Show with David Letterman and Nick Swardson's Pretend Time.