Mike Birbiglia Overview:
Quick Mike Birbiglia Facts:
- Mike Birbiglia was raised in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts.
- He became interested in doing stand-up after seeing Steven Wright perform at age 16.
- Birbiglia started performing comedy in the early 2000s around Washington D.C. and New York City.
- He is a frequent contributor to This American Life, on which his "My Secret Public Journal" segments first appeared.
- He has released four stand-up albums and one stand-up special since 2004.
- In 2008, Birbiglia wrote and starred in his own off-Broadway show, Sleepwalk With Me. It ran for several years, receiving critical acclaim and inspiring both a book and a feature film in 2012.
Mike Birbiglia Albums and Stand-up Specials:
- Dog Years (2004)
- Two Drink Mike (2006)
- My Secret Public Journal Live (2007)
- What I Should Have Said Was Nothing (2008) (DVD)
- Sleepwalk With Me Live (2011)
Mike Birbiglia: Sleepwalk With Me:
In 2008, Birbiglia debuted his first one-man show, Sleepwalk With Me at New York's Bleeker Street Theater. The show focused on Birbiglia's beginnings as a stand-up and a sleepwalking disorder that wreaked havoc on him both physically and emotionally. It received excellent critical notices, including Drama Desk and Outer Critic Circle awards nominations. In 2009, it was named "Show of the Year" by Time Out New York.
In 2011, the show was turned into a book, Sleepwalk with Me and Other Painfully True Stories, and a movie which Birbiglia starred in and directed. It won the Audience Award at Sundance 2012.
Additional Mike Birbiglia Facts:
- In 1997, Birbiglia was an intern at Late Night with Conan O'Brien.
- While attending Georgetown University, Birbiglia was named "Funniest Man on Campus" in his sophomore year.
- In 2010, the A.V. Club named My Secret Public Journal Live one of the best comedy albums of the decade.
- In 2003, Birbiglia won the ECNY Award for Best Male Stand-up.
- He is a regular guest on the syndicated radio program The Bob and Tom Show.
- His sleepwalking condition, called REM Sleep Disorder, once caused him to jump out the window of a hotel room, resulting in Birbiglia needing 33 stitches in his leg.
- His book, Sleepwalk With Me and Other Painfully True Stories, was a finalist for the Thurber Prize for American Humor in 2011 and appeared on the New York Times bestseller list.
- He has starred in three of his own Comedy Central Presents stand-up specials.
- In 2011, Birbiglia opened his second one-man show, My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, off-Broadway in New York. It ran for four months, at which point Birbiglia took the show on a national tour. The show won New York's prestigious Lucille Lortel Award for Outstanding Solo Show.
- The off-Broadway production of Sleepwalk With Me was produced and "presented" by actor and Broadway star Nathan Lane.
- The feature film version of Sleepwalk with Me features supporting performances from other comedians, including Marc Maron and David Wain.