February 23, 1983
Aziz Ansari Overview:
Comedian and actor Aziz Ansari may best be known for his role as Tom Haverford on NBC's Parks and Recreation, but he's also an accomplished (and hilarious) stand-up and makes up one third of the sketch comedy group Human Giant. Ansari performs his logically surrealist comedy with infectious energy and is one of the best young comedians of the 2000s.
Quick Aziz Ansari Facts:
- Aziz Ansari was born and raised in Columbia, South Carolina.
- He began performing stand-up in New York City after moving there to attend college at New York University, where he graduated with a degree in marketing.
- In 2005, Ansari formed the sketch group Human Giant with fellow comedians Paul Scheer and Rob Heubel. The group had their own MTV series, which ran for two seasons in 2007 and 2008.
- In 2009, Ansari joined the cast of the NBC sitcom Parks and Recreation starring Amy Poehler.
- His first comedy album and Comedy Central special were released in January of 2010, called Intimate Moments for a Sensual Evening
- In 2012, Ansari self-distributed his second stand-up special, Dangerously Delicious, via downloads made available exclusively on his website.
Additional Aziz Ansari Facts:
- In 2006, Ansari won the Jury Award for "Best Stand-up" at the U.S. Comedy Arts Festival in Aspen, Colorado.
- In addition to his role on Parks and Recreation, Ansari has also had supporting roles on Scrubs and in the films Observe and Report, I Love You Man and the Judd Apatow-directed Funny People.
- Human Giant got their start creating web videos before being discovered by MTV and getting their own series.