September 25, 1983
Donald Glover Overview:
Comedian, writer and actor Donald Glover makes it all look easy. Having co-founded the popular internet sketch comedy troupe Derrick Comedy, written for one much-lauded sitcom and starred on another, it would seem that everything Glover touches turns to success. What's more likely is that he's insanely talented, terrifically funny and genuinely charismatic. That's how people become stars.
Quick Donald Glover Facts:
- Donald Glover was born at the Edwards Air Force Base in California.
- He graduated from NYU with a degree in Dramatic Writing.
- He is one-fifth of the sketch troupe Derrick Comedy, who created a number of popular short films on the internet. Their first feature film, Mystery Team, was released in 2009.
- In 2008, Glover became a staff writer on the third season of the critically acclaimed sitcom 30 Rock.
- In 2009, he became a cast member on the NBC sitcom Community, alongside fellow comedians Joel McHale and Chevy Chase.
- His first hour-long stand-up special, Weirdo, premiered on Comedy Central in late 2011.
Additional Donald Glover Facts:
- In addition to being a writer and actor, Glover regularly performs stand-up comedy. His first Comedy Central Presents stand-up special premiered in March of 2010.
- In 2009, Variety picked Glover as one of 10 Comics to Watch.
- Glover is also an accomplished musician, recording electronic music under names like Childish Gambino and Sir Durton Cloud 9. Glover wrote and recorded the score for Mystery Team.
- In 2010, Glover started his own grassroots campaign to be considered for the role of Spider-Man in the 2011, Marc Webb-directed reboot of the franchise. The movement quickly caught on and a Facebook fan page garnered thousands of followers.