Kathy Griffin Overview:
Quick Kathy Griffin Facts:
- Kathy Griffin was born and raised in Oak Park, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago.
- In the early 1980s, she became a performer with The Groundlings in Los Angeles.
- In 1996, Griffin became a cast member on the NBC sitcom Suddenly Susan, starring Brooke Shields.
- Her first hour-long HBO stand-up special, Hot Cup of Talk, premiered in 1998.
- In 2005, she became the star of her own reality show on cable's Bravo network, called My Life on the D-List. The show has been nominated for three Emmy awards and won twice.
- Griffin released her first stand-up album, For Your Consideration, in 2008. She released her second, Suckin' It for the Holidays, in 2009. Both received Grammy nominations for Outstanding Comedy Album.
- She also released her first book in 2009, an autobiography called Official Book Club Selection.
Kathy Griffin Stand-up Specials and Discography:
- HBO Comedy Half-Hour (1996)
- Hot Cup of Talk (1998)
- The D-List (2004)
- Allegedly (2004)
- Kathy Griffin is...Not Nicole Kidman (2005)
- Strong Black Woman (2006)
- Everybody Can Suck It (2007)
- Straight to Hell (2007)
- For Your Consideration (Stand-up Album) (2008)
- She'll Cut a Bitch (2009)
- Suckin' It for the Holidays (Stand-up Album) (2009)
- Balls of Steel (2009)
- Kathy Griffin Does the Bible Belt (2010)
- 50 and Not Pregnant (2011)
- Gurrl Down! (2011)
- Pants Off (2011)
- Tired Hooker (2011)
- Seamen 1st Class (2012)
Kathy Griffin on the D-List:
In 2005, Griffin became the star of her own reality series on cable's Bravo network, called My Life on the D-List. The series charts Griffin's attempts to become a huge celebrity and get in the good graces of the Hollywood elite (ironic, considering Griffin is already quite successful and is regularly nominated for awards). The series' first season garnered an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Reality series -- an award in would in win in both 2007 and 2008.
The success of D-List led to a working relationship with Bravo, who began airing Griffin's stand-up specials.
Additional Kathy Griffin Facts:
- In the early '90s, Griffin was a staple of the alternative comedy scene in Los Angeles, with her own show at the Un-Cabaret club.
- In addition to her comedy and reality TV career, Griffin has been acting regularly since the 1990s, with a memorable supporting role on Seinfeld as well as appearances in Pulp Fiction, The X-Files, The Cable Guy, Dirty Love and more.
- In 2009, Griffin served as Roastmaster for the Comedy Central Roast of Joan Rivers.
- Griffin has been a regular guest host for the ABC daytime talk show The View, acting as unofficial co-host for several months in 2007.
- She created controversy in 2007 after joking that Jesus can "suck it" upon winning a Creative Arts Emmy for My Life on the D-List. Several groups, including the Catholic League, condemned her joke.
- Her 2012 stand-up special Tired Hooker received an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Variety Program.
- Griffin has admitted to having several cosmetic surgeries and is an outspoken opponent of LASIK eye surgery, claiming the procedure impaired her vision in one eye.