June 1, 1981
Amy Schumer Overview:
Like Sarah Silverman
before her, comedian Amy Schumer has turned shock value into an art form. Combining cute, unassuming looks with the darkest of black comedy, Schumer gets audiences to let down their guards before hitting them with outrageous one-liners and material that goes well beyond the limits of accepted "good taste." She gets away with it, too, because she knows how to write a really good joke.
Quick Amy Schumer Facts:
- Amy Schumer hails from Long Island, New York.
- She first began performing stand-up comedy in New York in 2004.
- Schumer placed fourth on Season Five of the NBC reality competition Last Comic Standing.
- In 2011, she released her first stand-up album, Cutting, on Comedy Central Records.
- Her first hour-long stand-up special, Mostly Sex Stuff, premiered on Comedy Central in 2012.
- Schumer's Comedy Central series, Inside Amy Schumer, premiered in spring of 2013.
Additional Amy Schumer Facts:
- Amy Schumer was the first female comic to perform on both The Ellen Degeneres Show and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.
- Schumer's father's cousin in New York senator Chuck Schumer.
- She taped her first Comedy Central Presents stand-up special in 2010.
- In 2010, she became the co-host of Hoppus on Music alongside Blink-182 frontman Mark Hoppus.
- She was a contestant on the short-lived Comedy Central competition series Reality Bites Back in 2009. She finished second, beating out such comics as Donnell Rawlings and Kyle Cease.
If You Like Amy Schumer, Check Out:
Sarah Silverman, Margaret Cho, Maria Bamford, Kathleen Madigan