David Wain Overview:
Quick David Wain Facts:
- David Wain was born and raised in Shaker Heights, Ohio.
- In 1991, he began directing short films starring his future collaborators in The State.
- Wain was a member of the sketch comedy group The State, which had its own series on MTV in the early '90s.
- In 1997, Wain formed the sketch troupe Stella alongside fellow State alum Michael Showalter and Michael Ian Black. The trio had their own Comedy Central series of the same name, which ran for 10 episodes in 2005.
- Wain made the leap to directing feature films in 2001.
- His popular Web series, Wainy Days, debuted in 2007 on My Damn Channel. The first four seasons of the show were released on DVD in 2012.
David Wain and The State:
David Wain's Wainy Days:
In 2007, Wain created the Web series Wainy Days for My Damn Channel. The episodes, which each run about five minutes, focus on Wain's romantic mishaps and professional life. In addition to starring on the show, Wain has written and directed a number of episodes. Several of his former State castmates have appeared on the show, including Michael Ian Black, Ken Marino, Thomas Lennon, Kerri Kenney-Silver and Joe Lo Truglio. Other actors and comedians appearing on the series include Paul Rudd, Jason Sudekis, Elizabeth Banks, Rashida Jones, Janeane Garofalo, Lake Bell and Nick Offerman, among others. The show won the 2008 Webby Award for Best Comedy Series.
In 2012, the first four "seasons" of the show were released on DVD as Wainy Days: Seasons 1-4.
David Wain Filmography:
Additional David Wain Facts:
- In addition to his work with The State and Stella and as a director, Wain has guest starred on a number of comedy series including Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job!, Reno 911! and The Daily Show, where he worked as a correspondent in 1996. He has also guest-written and guest-directed several TV series, including Party Down and Children's Hospital on Adult Swim.
- He is the voice of The Warden on the Adult Swim animated series Superjail.
- Wain is married to actress Zandy Hartig.