Patrice O'Neal performs during "The Nasty Show," part of TBS Presents A Very Funny Festival: Just for Laughs Chicago, held June 17 - 21, 2009.
Photo by Barry Brecheisen/Getty Images
December 7, 1969
November 29, 2011
Patrice O'Neal Overview:
Patrice O'Neal is one of those hard-edged East Coast comedians known for being a "comic's comic," along the lines of friends (of the same sort of school) like Jim Norton and Nick DiPaolo. He talks a lot about relationships and sex in his act, and is known for being brutally honest when it comes to talking about men, women, dating and sex. He is also famous for "crowd work," where he will improvise and riff off the top of his head based on interactions with members of the audience. Though he doesn't necessarily break any new ground in his act, O'Neal is difficult to classify in any particular category or compare to any other comic (save maybe for Richard Pryor
). He is very much his own man in the comedy scene.
Quick Patrice O'Neal Facts:
- Patrice O'Neal was born and raised in Boston, Massachusetts.
- He began performing stand-up comedy on the East Coast in the early 1990s.
- In 2006, he became the host of Web Junk 20 on VH1, a weekly clip show spotlighting viral videos. He left the show after two seasons and was replaced by Jim Breuer.
- His first stand-up special was a 30-minute One Night Stand for HBO in 2005.
- His first full-length comedy special, Elephant in the Room, was broadcast on Comedy Central in 2011.
- O'Neal is a regular guest on The Opie and Anthony Show on SIRIUS/XM Satellite Radio.
- In October of 2011, Patrice O'Neal was hospitalized after suffering a stroke. He died a month later on November 29th.
Patrice O'Neal Suffers a Stroke:
In October 2011, comedian Jim Norton announced on The Opie and Anthony Show (on which O'Neal was a regular guest) that Patrice O'Neal had suffered a stroke the previous week. No further details were made available, with Norton saying that he only knew that much and had no idea whether or not O'Neal would recover. The comic was hospitalized and an email account was set up for well-wishes and fan support.
Additional Patrice O'Neal Facts:
- O'Neal's first appearance performing stand-up comedy on television was on The Apollo Comedy Hour.
- He is a diabetic.
- He worked for a short time as a writer for World Wresting Entertainment.
- He was a regular guest on the short-lived Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn on Comedy Central.
- O'Neal had a small recurring role on NBC's The Office as one of the warehouse workers, where he acted alongside fellow comedian Craig Robinson.
- In 2007, he started his own podcast and web series called The Patrice O'Neal Show - Coming Soon!.
- He performed one of the voices for Grand Theft Auto IV.
- He briefly hosted a dating advice show on satellite radio originally called Bitch Management, but which eventually came to be called The Black Phillip Show.
- O'Neal appeared on the dais at The Comedy Central Roast of Charlie Sheen/
If you like Patrice O'Neal, check out: Jim Norton, Colin Quinn, Nick DiPaolo, Louis C.K., Jim Jefferies, Richard Pryor