September 16, 1971
Amy Poehler Overview:
Actress and sketch comedy star Amy Poehler was one of the most prominent female cast members ever on Saturday Night Live
, and (along with her co-star Tina Fey) helped carve out a bigger place for funny women on the long-running sketch show. She's also a veteran of live improv
and sketch comedy
, helping put the Upright Citizens Brigade on the map; their short-lived Comedy Central series was one of the best and most subversive of the 1990s
. Though Poehler is often cast as smiley and energetic, her sketch comedy background demonstrates a huge comedic range. She makes being funny look good.
Quick Amy Poehler Facts:
- Amy Poehler was born and raised in Burlington, Massachusetts.
- While attending college in Boston, Poehler was a member of the improv comedy group My Mother's Fleabag.
- Poehler moved to Chicago and performed at both Second City and ImprovOlympic.
- She joined the improv/sketch group Upright Citizens Brigade in the mid-1990s, and the group got their own Comedy Central sketch show in 1998. It lasted for three seasons.
- In 2001, Poehler joined the cast of Saturday Night Live, where she remained a cast member until 2008.
- Poehler became the star of her own NBC sitcom, Parks and Recreation, in 2009.
- In 2014, she won the Golden Globe for Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series for her work on Parks and Recreation.
Notable Amy Poehler Characters on 'SNL':
- Child actress Dakota Fanning, host of The Dakota Fanning Show
- Former first lady and presidential candidate Hilary Clinton
- Betty Caruso, co-host of Bronx Beat
- Kaitlin, the overly-excited stepdaughter of Rick ("Rick! Rick! Rick!")
- Kelly Ripa, co-host of Live with Regis and Kelly
Additional Amy Poehler Facts:
- Amy Poehler is only the third Saturday Night Live cast member (after Harry Shearer and Eddie Murphy) to be promoted from "featured player" to full cast member during her first year with the show.
- She is married to Arrested Development Will Arnett. The two have one son, Archie, born in 2008 during Poehler's last season with Saturday Night Live.
- For the 2004/05 season, Poehler became co-anchor of "Weekend Update" alongside cast member and head writer Tina Fey. It was the first time in SNL history that "Update" was anchored by two women.
- In addition to her sketch comedy and TV work, Poehler has appeared in a number of films, including Wet Hot American Summer, Deuce Bigelow: Male Gigolo, Mean Girls and Blades of Glory. In 2008, she had her first starring role (once again opposite Tina Fey) in the hit comedy Baby Mama.
- Poehler co-created and provides the voice of the main character on the Nickelodeon animated kids' series The Mighty B. She received a 2009 Daytime Emmy nomination for her voice work on the show.
- She has twice been nominated for a Primetime Emmy for her work on Saturday Night Live, in both 2008 and 2009.