Jack Black, Kyle Gass
Tenacious D Overview:
The folk-metal duo of Tenacious D, made up of actor/comedians Jack Black and Kyle Gass, is the best parody of a self-indulgent rock band since the heyday of Spinal Tap. Rocking out with acoustic guitars (though, on album and on tour the duo is often backed by a full band), Tenacious D is a spoof of a rock band that actually rocks. Aside from having really funny songs (usually about standard "rock" stuff like sex, drugs or their own awesomeness), what makes Tenacious D so good is that they write terrific songs, harmonize beautifully and can really play.
Quick Tenacious D Facts:
- Black and Gass met while performing as members of The Actors' Gang in the late 1980s.
- In 1997, Tenacious D became the stars of their own HBO series, produced by Bob Odenkirk and David Cross of Mr. Show with Bob and David (on which Black occasionally appeared). Only three half-hour episodes were produced.
- The band released their first album, Tenacious D, in 2001, which reached number 33 on the Billboard 200.
- In 2006, Black and Gass starred in the feature film Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny. The movie was a box office failure but has since gained a cult following.
Tenacious D Discography:
- Tenacious D (2001) (CD)
- D Fun Pack (EP) (2002)
- Tenacious D: The Complete Masterworks (2003) (DVD)
- Tenacious D: The Complete Masterworks Part II (2008) (DVD)