June 1, 2003
No. of Seasons:
8 (2003 - Present)
Last Comic Standing Overview:
The NBC summer reality series Last Comic Standing is the show that seemingly won't go away. Though twice canceled by the network, its popularity has continually resurrected the show, designed to help find America's favorite comic. Hundreds of amateur (and some professional) stand-up comics audition for the show in front of celebrity judges all across the country, eventually getting narrowed down to roughly 10 comedians. Those comics live in a house together and participate in various challenges, with each episode ending in a stand-up showdown between two or three comedians.
The loser of each challenge is eliminated, until only two comedians remain in the competition. The winner is chosen by telephone votes from the show's audience, and the "Last Comic Standing" receives bragging rights and, typically, a cash prize.
Last Comic Standing Winners:
- Dat Phan (Season One, 2003)
- John Heffron (Season Two, 2004)
- Alonzon Bodden (Season Three/"All-Stars", 2004)
- Josh Blue (Season Four, 2006)
- Jon Reep (Season Five, 2007)
- Iliza Shlesinger (Season Six, 2008)
- Felipe Esparza (Season Seven, 2010)
Last Comic Standing Hosts:
- Jay Mohr (Season 1 - 3, 2003-2004)
- Anthony Clark (Season 4, 2006)
- Bill Bellamy (Season 5 - 6, 2007-2008)
- Craig Robinson (Season 7, 2010)
- JB Smoove (Season 8, 2014)
Additional Last Comic Standing Facts:
- Due to low ratings, Last Comic Standing was canceled during its third season (the "Battle of the Best" season). In fact, NBC didn't even air the season finale in which the winner was announced. It ran on Comedy Central instead.
- The show was brought back again in 2006 and ran for three consecutive summers. It was canceled again at the end of its 2008 season, but once again resurrected in 2010 with new host Craig Robinson.
- After another four years off the air, NBC revamped the show and brought it back in summer 2014 with new judges Keenan Ivory Wayans, Roseanne Barr and Russell Peters.
- Comedians who have competed on Last Comic Standing but not won include Tammy Pescatelli, Doug Benson, Dan Cummins, Arj Barker, Kathleen Madigan, Gabriel Iglesias, Ralphie May, Sean Cullen and Todd Glass.