Quick Morgan Spurlock Facts:
- Spurlock was born and raised in West Virginia.
- He received his degree in film from New York University.
- He performed stand-up in both New York and Los Angeles.
- His first film, Super Size Me, was released in 2004 and was nominated for an Academy Award.
- Spurlock's TV series, 30 Days, premiered in 2005.
- His second film, Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden?, was released in 2008.
Morgan Spurlock Overview:
Morgan Valentine Spurlock was born on November 7, 1970, in Parkersburg, West Virginia. He was raised in nearby Beckley, West Virginia. He moved to New York to attend college, where he graduated from NYU with a BFA in film. After college, he relocated to Los Angeles and began performing stand-up comedy and writing plays. He later created a web cast called "I Bet You Will," (where regular people were paid money to perform outrageous stunts) which was picked up and turned into a series by MTV.
Getting Super Sized:
In 2004, Spurlock released his first film, Super Size Me. The film followed Spurlock as he ate nothing but McDonald's fast food three times a day for 30 days and examined the effects the diet had on his health. The film was a success and scored Spurlock an Academy Award nomination for Best Documentary feature. It also inspired his first book, Don't Eat This: Fast Food and the Supersizing of America, released in 2005.
Though there was no official correlation, McDonald's made several changes to its menu (offering more healthy options) shortly after the release of Spurlock's film.
The Small Screen:
Morgan Spurlock Tries to Find Osama:
Additional Morgan Spurlock Facts:
- Spurlock studied ballet as a child.
- He was rejected by the USC film school five times.
- In 1996, he worked as an announcer for extreme sports competitions on ESPN.
- He gained 25 pounds during the filming of Super Size Me.
- Spurlock won Best Director for a Documentary Film at the 2004 Sundance Film Festival for Super Size Me.
- He married his long-time girlfriend, Alexandra Jamieson (seen in both Super Size Me and Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden?) in 2006.